I’m not sure if I’m registered; how can I confirm my voter registration status?


You can confirm your registration status on this website by going to Am I Registered? where you will select one of three methods for conducting your search. You can base your search on: 1. your Voter Unique Identifier (VUID), which appears on your voter registration certificate; 2. your Texas driver's license number, if you provided it when you applied for voter registration; or 3. your first and last name. Or, you can call the voter registrar’s office in the county where you reside.

I’m not registered, but want to vote in the May 24, 2016 Primary Runoff Election; how can I be sure that I’m registered in time to vote?


The deadline to register and be eligible to vote in the May 24, 2016 election is April 25, 2016. This can be either the postmark date or the date the application is received in the office of the voter registrar. You may, of course, register at any time before that date to ensure that your registration is effective for voting in November. You can obtain a voter registration application from your voter registrar's office, libraries, most post offices, and high schools. You can also fill out a voter registration application online or request a postage-paid application be mailed to you.

If I send my registration by the deadline, what happens next?


Your voter registration becomes effective 30 days after it is submitted (and accepted*) by the county voter registrar. The county office will then put your name on the voter registration list, generate your voter certificate, and mail it to you. Once received, be sure to read the information on the back of the certificate, sign by the X on the "front" of the card (the orange area) and keep your voter card in a safe place.

*If your original application is missing required information, you will receive a notice in the mail and have a deadline to respond to the notice.

I am registered to vote, but I moved this past year. Is there anything I need to do to make sure that I won’t have a problem voting in May?


If you moved within the same county where you are currently registered, you must file the new address information in writing with your voter registrar OR you may submit the "in county" change online. The last day to make a change of address that will be effective for the May 24, 2016 Election is April 25, 2016. If you missed this deadline, you may return to your old precinct to vote, if you still live in the political subdivision holding the election. If you moved within the county, you will have to go back to the precinct in which you are currently registered (your “old” precinct), and, at that location, you will be required to complete a "statement of residence" confirming your new address. This will act to update your registration information for the future. You will then be allowed to vote a regular ballot as long as you are otherwise eligible.

If you moved to a “new county,” you must re-register in your new county of residence by April 25, 2016, to be eligible to vote in the May 24, 2016 Election (unless you are eligible to vote a “limited ballot,” see below).

LIMITED BALLOT OPTION: If you have moved to a new county and have not re-registered in the new county by the April 25, 2016 deadline, you may be eligible to vote a limited ballot in your new county. A limited ballot means that you would be allowed to vote on any candidates and measures in common between your former and new county. This procedure is only available during the early voting period; you may NOT vote a limited ballot on election day. You must be a current registered voter in your former county in order to qualify OR you must have been registered in your old county at the time you submitted a voter registration application in your new county, if you have done so. For full information on this procedure, go to Special Forms of Early Voting (PDF). If you feel you qualify to vote a limited ballot, we recommend that you contact the office of the Early Voting Clerk in your new county.

I don’t remember seeing my certificate lately. Is that a problem? Don’t I just stay registered?


New certificates are mailed out every two years to the most recent address you gave to the voter registrar. If you do not recall receiving a new orange and white certificate in 2014, it could mean that you have moved without updating, or there is some other problem with your registration. If the certificate was mailed to an old address, it would have been returned to the registrar as the certificate is not forwardable mail, and you would have been placed on the "suspense list" in that county. This means you have a grace period that allows you to vote in the same county in your old precinct, but if you do not vote, your name will be removed from the rolls after two federal elections have passed since you were placed on the suspense list. If you did not receive your certificate because you moved to a new Texas county, you will need to re-register.

How can I be sure that I’m still on the voter rolls in the county where I reside?


You can check the status of your voter registration, where you will select one of three methods for conducting your search. You can base your search on: 1. your Voter Unique Identifier (VUID), which appears on your voter registration certificate; 2. your Texas driver's license number, if you provided it when you applied for voter registration; or 3. your first and last name. Or, you can call the voter registrar’s office in the county where you reside.

Does a voter have to vote in the main election in order to vote in a runoff-election?

No.  Section 11.001 of the Texas Election Code prescribes the specific qualifications necessary in order to vote in a Texas election.  There is no requirement to have previously voted in the main election in order to participate in the subsequent run-off election.

When does the new photo identification law go into effect?

The new photo identification requirement is effective immediately.

What kind of identification will be required to qualify to vote in person under the new program?

A voter will be required to show one of the following forms of photo identification at the polling location before the voter will be permitted to cast a vote.
  • Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
  • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
  • Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
  • Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
  • United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
  • United States passport

My ID is expired. Will it still work?

With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification must be current or have expired no more than 60 days before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place.

What if I forget to bring my photo identification with me when I vote in person? Will I be turned away?


If you do not have any of the forms of photo identification listed above at the time of voting, you may cast a “provisional ballot” at the polling location instead of a normal ballot. In order to have the provisional ballot counted in the election, you will have to visit the county voter registrar’s office by the sixth calendar day after Election Day. At the county voter registrar’s office, you will have to show one of the forms of photo identification listed above. If you present a proper form of identification, the provisional ballot will be counted.

If I have a government-issued ID that contains my photo and it is not on the list above, may I use it?

If you do not have one of the forms of photo IDs listed above and your voter registration certificate does not have a disability exemption noted, you will only be eligible to cast a provisional ballot.

My name on my approved photo ID does not exactly match my name on my voter registration card. Can I still vote?

Election officials will review the ID and if a name is “substantially similar” to the name on their list of registered voters, you will still be able to vote, but you will also have to submit an affidavit stating that you are the same person on the list of registered voters.

Does the new photo ID requirement apply to voting by mail?

The new requirement does not change the process for voting by mail.

Does the address on my photo identification have to match my address on the official list of registered voters at the time of voting?

The new requirement makes no determination on voter address matching criteria; therefore, there is no address matching requirement.

When is the DPS Election Identification Certificate going to be available?

The Election Identification Certificate is now available. Information regarding how to obtain an election identification certificate can be found at You may also contact DPS by telephone at (512) 424-2600 for more information.

What happens if I refuse to show proof of identity?

Voters who refuse to show proof of identity will be allowed to vote by provisional ballot. However, please be advised that a refusal to show ID is not a valid ground for casting a provisional ballot, and it is likely that the voter’s ballot will be rejected by the ballot board.
[Expand all]

Provisional Voting

Provisional voting is designed to allow a voter whose name does not appear on the list of registered voters due to an administrative error to vote. The voter must complete an affidavit stating the reasons he or she is qualified to vote. Provisional voting is only used if the voter cannot qualify to vote by the methods described above. Important points are: (1) the cast provisional ballots are kept separately from the regular ballots; and (2) the voter’s registration record will be reviewed later by the provisional voting ballot board (the early voting ballot board) and is counted only if the voter is determined to be a registered voter and is otherwise qualified to vote. Provisional voters will receive a notice in the mail by the 10th day after the local canvass advising them if their provisional ballots were counted, and if they were not counted, the reason why.

Military & Overseas Voters

Military and overseas voters are welcome to use the regular registration and early voting by mail process available to all voters away from their home county on Election Day. However, there are also  special provisions for military and overseas voters.

Voters with Special Needs

Please read our special needs information to ensure that you are fully informed on the available services.

Student Voters

Student voters often seek advice regarding residency issues for voter registration purposes. For more information, please read Information regarding student residency issues.

We also have FAQS on Student Election Clerks.

Convicted Felons and Voting

In Texas, a convicted felon regains the right to vote after completing his or her sentence. Therefore, once a convict completes the punishment phase (including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by the court), the convict is eligible to register and vote in the state of Texas.

Liquor Elections

For information on the local option liquor petition and election process in Texas, please review our office’s educational materials.

Political Parties

For information on registered political parties in Texas, please contact those organizations directly:

Additional Information

We have information located in various sections of our website – “Voter Information,” “Candidates,” and “Conducting Your Elections” (for election administrators), just to name a few. You will notice that some information is repeated in different places; our hope is to gear each section to the audience for easier bookmarking and future use.

Should you need additional information, please email or call us at 1-800-252-VOTE (8683).